Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Do you Look For Jesus


Mark 4:37-39 (King James Version)
37And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
38And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.


Seems the Disciples learned a lesson early in their travels with Jesus that few of us learn in life.
Seems that they were on the Sea of Galilee traveling across when a storm arose.

I'm not sure what they would have done in a storm before they started following Jesus. Scripture doesn't tell us how they could have reacted.


I know I have seen people, in storms I mean, scatter.

I've ssen them run helter skelter. I've seen them panick.

I've seen them have nervous breakdowns.

I've seen people wring their hands.

I know people who have almost collapsed with grief.


I don't know what the disciples would have done before Jesus entered their lives, but I know what they did once they came in contact with the master of the winds and the waves.

The Bible doesn't say they weren't afraid.

In fact, I believe they were.

"Master, carest thou not that we perish?"

That was their question.


Jesus presence didn't remove every fear from thier carnal nature.

Jesus mere presence on the ship in the storm didn't necessarily calm every fear.

But nobody jumped overboard.

After setting at the feet of the Master, after seeing Jesus in action, after noticing that the Master of the Sea could sleep through a storm, they woke him and called on him in the midst of their storm.

And He calmed it.

39And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

In the midst of our storms, we need to wake the Master.


He can rebuke the tempestuos winds that blow in our lives,

He can speak and bring a great calm.


It has been said, "His voice can calm a storm."


What do we do in storms?


When storms rise in our lives, do we look for the Master?


When storms arise in my life, I look for Jesus in the bottom of the boat...........

No comments: