Friday, July 10, 2009

This Week

So I guess my blog doesn't always ahve to be spiritual stuff.

Today I woke up, went for my walk, ate my yogurt breakfast and read my inspirational quote for the day:

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke


And I added.......

My prayer today is that I die again so that I can live again


I work for a large HVAC company in Indianapolis and am blessed to have a great job, a great boss and the flexibility to be able to juggle the pleasure I get from sales and the passion I have for ministry. Every week "The Boss" sends us an e-mail and always ends it with a statement about his desire for us to be "The Best of The Best."


A couple of weeks ago I had an attack off appendicitis. And I don't mand saying the surgery scared me. The horror stories you hear about muffed surgeries the things that reall go on in surgery rooms...............I was scared.


So the surgery went well, the surgeon was great, the nurses were excellent, the chief of surgery came by to see me, my wife pulls big strings :) , and I got out and went home on time. But my recovery seemed to me to go slow. And I spent a lot of time setting. And I am not much for setting, but this time gave me time for reflection. Inward and outward, and I realized that I am almost 50 years old, and I have lived more life than I have left to live. ANd I suddenly awoke to the fact that the way I take care of myself physically really is imortant.


Sooooooooooo, I started walking every day last Saturday, and not dieting, but watching what I am eating and how much of it that I eat.


And then I read my daily quote today. By daily dying, I have come to be.

And it got me thinking. How much farther could I have been in my life if I had learned early in life to die daily? And today I prayed, "Dear God, help me to die every day, so that I can come to be."


It's a bibleical principle.

Paul said in I Corinthians 15: 30 & 31

30And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?
31I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.


Clearly he stated without a daily death, we stand in jeopardy of losing life eternal.

Minor surgery, yes. But surgery none the less, and the realization that had I "worked through" the pain, had I shrugged it off and just thought it was the flu, it could have spread poison through my body that could have ended my earthly life. A realization that life is fleeting, death is eminent and eternal life is mine to gain if I die daily came once again to me.


So today, I thanks God for another day. Another day to live, and another day to die so that I may live.


Just some thoughts running through my head..............................


No comments: